- Try to equip your bike with new tires before you leave. Have your local bike shop tune your bike.
- Bring 1 spare tire with you - preferably folding.
- Bring 3 to 4 inner tubes.
- Wheels the same size may have different spoke length since the length is a function of wheel size, hub size and number of crosses. Visit your bike store and get about 5 spokes - note front and back tires may have different sizes.
- Rear cassette removal tool if you have one.
- Optional but recommended - a bike computer with a GPS feature. Besides tracking your ride after you are done, it will more accurate as to the distance covered.
- Optional but recommended - a third water bottle. More for Arizona and New Mexico where it may be hot and very dry.
- A bike bag or pannier large enough to carry 2 inner tubes and associated tools.
- Lights for bike and helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Bicycle lock
- Ziplocks for wallet and phone
- 2-3 cycling jerseys
- 2-3 cycling shorts
- 3-4 cycling socks
- Rain jacket, shower cap
- A swim suit
- Cold weather clothing and warm weather clothing (or count on layering)
- Nicer set of clothes for town when we hit a nicer restaurant.
- Consider bringing a small bag that can be used to transport clothing to a hotel (rather than your entire clothing bag). Preferably one that can fold up very small. If you can transport clothing in a bike bag or pannier, so much the better.
- Bike shoes, street shoes, plus an extra set of street shoes or flip flops so you can change shoes if the first pair get really wet or muddy
- Shower towel
- Beach towel (can be your shower towel or it can be a separate towel).
- Shampoo and soap
- Deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, chapstick
- Clothespins - optional
- Baby wipes
- Bug repellent
- Playing cards and games
- Laptop and/or tablet.
- Charging cables and wall ports.
- A battery pack plus charging cord to carry on the bike
- Tent with rain flap and ground cloth
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping pad or air mattress
- Flashlight and/or headlamp with batteries
- Camping chair
- For cold nights:
- Sleeping hat
- Sleeping socks
- Sleeping gloves